I have contacted my MP for Durham City, Roberta Blackman-Woods, on many occasions and on many subjects. I have written, or rather e-mailed, on Social security, the EU & Turkey; on holding armed police to account for their actions; on our membership of the EU, regarding battery-caged hens and the Court of Protection. I have received many replies, most of which are frustratingly anodyne, and most of which never answer the straight-forwards questions which I ask. But I never fail to receive a reply, sometimes delayed, but never ignored!
Except once! Only one query has resulted in a stultifying silence, with no response, comment or justification! I copy the letter below, and simply ask; ‘I wonder why there has been no response?’
I write in connection with the reported voting fraud in Tower Hamlets, as listed in the ConservativeHome Blog and would wish to address several questions to the Home Secretary
• Why have all enquiries known about so far resulted in no prosecutions whatsoever in the field of electoral fraud or ‘personation’?
• Why have the police not instituted, despite documented evidence, enquiries leading to prosecutions in this matter?
• Why have polling stations in the Tower Hamlets area not been freed of voter intimidation as alleged on the blogsite; as well as the arrest of any person deemed to be harassing a prospective female voter on the grounds of ‘not being modestly dressed’?
• May I also enquire, through your office as my M.P., why the Electoral Commission has not been directed by the Home Office to institute a thorough and all-encompassing enquiry into the allegations of fraud within the Tower Hamlets area?
• Finally, will you ask the Home Secretary if any Police actions or investigations have been curtailed because of ‘cultural awareness’?.
If such questions can be asked within the House of Commons, or alternatively by written questions, I, as well as many, many others, would agree that true democracy is being served!