I was on the BBC this morning and had a lively exchange with Comrade Bumper Graham of the NIPSA trade union. You can hear it here if living in the UK at around 35 mns it. The issue under discussion was the call from the trade unions for the public sector pay freeze to end and an inflation busting wage increase to be given! Hilarious stuff and here are just five fun facts on the public sector that the Unions prefer NOT to discuss;
1. Between 2008 and 2011, when the recession bit deeply, public sector wages in NI rose by over 17%. The private sector rose by just over 3%.
2. The average public sector employee earns 45% more than the average private sector employee.
3. A full time female employee in the public sector commands a 71% wage premium over a private sector equivalent
4. In 2011-2012, the year of the “savage cuts”, public sector employees saw their take home pay soar by almost 4% because of the pay scale increments that they get just by turning up to work
5. The public sector wage bill has INCREASED during recession!
None of the above deflects the Unions from wanting MORE but in truth they should be told to shove it.