It appears that the new low energy light bulbs have illuminated a whole new problem;
Councils across the UK are refusing to pick up low-energy lightbulbs from homes as they contain toxic mercury, which gives off poisonous vapours. But confused consumers are putting the new bulbs – classed as hazardous waste – in their dustbins when they burn out, potentially putting the safety of thousands of binmen at risk. Previously, the public disposed of traditional lightbulbs, used in Britain for 120 years, in a domestic bin. However, they are being phased out under a European Union ruling and are being replaced with energy-saving bulbs, many of which contain mercury. Last night UNISON, the union which represents thousands of rubbish collectors across Britain, said it was concerned at the risks binmen are facing.
Any thoughts on the dangers for consumers or do they not matter? The EU has imposed these dangerous light bulbs and now the consequences become all too apparent. At the time, ATW opposed this diktat. We are proven right, sadly.