(READ) Who unlocked Capitol doors and let rioters in? https://t.co/nWjCahi3VK
— The Troll (@TheCityTroll) June 13, 2021
Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wisconsin) has sent a letter to the U.S. Capitol Police asking how and why a key door to the Capitol that was initially locked, became unlocked, allowing hundreds of unauthorized people to enter the Capitol on January 6.
The American people deserve an accurate and complete understanding of what happened on January 6. To provide that historical record, it is important that all aspects of that day—from the peaceful protests on the Ellipse to the acts of violence in and around the Capitol—are fully and fairly examined. In order to ensure the most accurate understanding of what occurred at the upper west terrace doors on January 6, I ask that you please provide the following information by no later than June 24, 2021:
1. Do you agree with the assessment above that on January 6, 2021, starting at 2:33 p.m. at the upper west terrace doors, approximately 309 unauthorized individuals gained entry into the Capitol at this location? If not, please provide the number of individuals that entered the building at this location.
2. Does USCP still believe approximately 800 unauthorized individuals entered the Capitol on January 6? If that estimate is not correct, what is the current estimate and why has it been revised?
3. In order to fully understand what happened at the upper west terrace doorway, it is important to hear from the officers that were present at that location. Have these officers filed detailed reports of this incident? Has USCP conducted transcribed interviews with them? If so, I request copies of these reports and transcribed interviews. If not, I respectfully ask for the opportunity to interview these officers.
4. Does USCP know why at approximately 2:26 p.m. an individual could not open the left door at the upper west terrace entrance, but seven minutes later, at 2:33 p.m., another individual could open that same door? Does USCP have any indication that this door was locked at 2:26 p.m. and then unlocked by 2:33 p.m.?
5. Please produce security footage of the interior and exterior cameras located near the upper west terrace doors from 2:20 p.m. to 2:50 p.m. on January 6, 2021.
Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.
United States Senator